Singapore, before 1965
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

History and Founding of Singapore on Wikipedia

4 posters

Go down

History and Founding of Singapore on Wikipedia Empty History and Founding of Singapore on Wikipedia

Post by PengShare Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:03 pm

To my surprise, there is an fairly well-maintained section of Wikipedia that details the history of Singapore, that includes:
- Pre-1819 ancient Singapore
- Founding by Sir Stamford Raffles
- Strait Settlements & transition to a Crown Colony
- Post-WWII Singapore
- Internal Self-governance from 1955-1962

The main article with all the links can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Singapore

Do take note that some of the articles' claims actually lack citations, so be sure to cross-reference other historical sources!

PengShare

Back to top Go down

History and Founding of Singapore on Wikipedia Empty Re: History and Founding of Singapore on Wikipedia

Post by student1 Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:18 pm

Wow! I actually learnt a lot reading about Singapore history in the link you gave!!

Would you happen to know more about the TongMengHui???

I would like to know more about their history and what they did/ contributed Smile

student1

Back to top Go down

History and Founding of Singapore on Wikipedia Empty Re: History and Founding of Singapore on Wikipedia

Post by jovitachua Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:39 am

Hey PengShare, thanks for sharing that link! It really is quite detailed and filled with so much information. (: I was particularly intrigued by the section on "Ancient times", which was before the founding of modern Singapore, and which I knew very little about since they don't really cover much of that in the Singapore education system. Anyone else has more information about pre-modern Singapore?

As for student1, I found a wiki link to the TongMengHui, maybe this would be helpful. (: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongmenghui
Apparently there are a few branches and Singapore's one was merely one of them. Interesting to see how Singapore's history is so closely linked with that of other countries too (:

jovitachua

Back to top Go down

Post by lesa Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:54 am

I found a picture of Yusof Ishak at a national day rally in 1963

History and Founding of Singapore on Wikipedia Img0167

It is interesting to see that that through history, till now, the national day rally still has the same procession with regards to the president's part in National day

lesa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down